Free Fishing Days and Angler Education in the Northwest
Free Fishing Days & Events are Offered Nationwide
During National Boating and Fishing week (June 4-11, 2011), free fishing days and events are offered nationwide to promote boating and fishing. The events range from outdoor fishing shows with fly casting demonstrations and bait building classes to youth fishing derbies. Here in the Northwest, we’ve got a number of fun, educational events scheduled for the upcoming weekend that we think you and the kids might enjoy.
Fishing Events in Washington
- June 10-11, 2011: Salmon/Angler Education at Birch Bay State Park Learn about salmon’s role in the local economy and expore their natural habitat with an expert guide. Meet at the Wildlife Theatre at 7 p.m. on Friday or 10 a.m. on Saturday for a nature walk by Terrell Creek.
- June 11, 2011: Cama Beach Fishing Derby Fish and earn prizes! Children up to 16 years old are eligible to particpate. The derby will be held at Cama Beach State Park from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- June 11, 2011: Pearrygin Lake Kid’s Fishing Derby and Life Jacket Safety: Learn how to choose and wear a lifejacket from a park ranger. Event takes place from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Winthrop National Fish Hatchery.
Fishing Events in Oregon
- June 11, 2011: Diamond Lake Kids Fishing Derby Participate in a FREE fishing derby from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- June 11, 2011: Wallowa Lake Free Fishing Day An introduction to basic angling techniques for beginners and casting/fishing contests for kids. Equipment available at the event at the south end of the lake.
- June 11, 2011: Passport to Fishing Event A popular Columbia Gorge event focused on water safety, angler education, and fun for the kids. This event is held at the Bonneville Hatchery and does not require pre-registration. Register children ages 2-12 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
In addition to these events focused on angler education, a number of lakes in the area have beefed up their stocking schedule. Benson Lake, Harriet Lake, and Hagg Lake – just to name a few – have been stocked with thousands of trout to prepare for the weekend rush. The forecast is calling for 70 degree weather this weekend so get to your nearest lake and enjoy free fishing in the sunshine!
For a complete listing of Free Fishing Days by state, visit TakeMeFishing.org’s 2011 State Free Fishing Days.